Hi ROCS families,
Today the Board of Directors held a special session, and we wanted to get information out about the updates as soon as possible as the Administration and Board have already begun fielding questions about some of these topics:
(1) There has been much in the news lately about the Delta variant and what this means for children returning to school this fall. The final decision regarding masking requirements has been left to local school boards. Going into the 2021-2022 school year, ROCS will continue to follow guidance from the NC Strong Schools Toolkit and the CDC which states that proper masking is the most effective mitigation strategy to prevent secondary transmission in schools.
The Board voted to extend the mask mandate for all staff and students in our K-7 grades for the 2021-2022 school year, regardless of vaccination status. We realize this is not anyone’s ideal, but want to point out that the administration is planning for even more outdoor, mask-free time this fall:
- Students will not be required to wear masks outside.
- Additional outdoor class and gardening time has been built into student schedules above and beyond the daily one-hour total.
- The team is working to secure picnic tables and tents in support of this effort.
(2) ROCS will not be offering a virtual option in the 2021-2022 school year as it is not currently a possibility for charter schools. There is a bill pending in the legislature related to a virtual option. We continue to watch closely for updates and will keep our community posted as we learn more.
The recording of the public portion of today’s Special Session is available for those who are interested. Thank you as always for being a part of this incredible community and for your ongoing support and grace during these tumultuous times. We are grateful for each and every one of you.
The ROCS Board of Directors