Here are some updates from our regular board meeting on Wednesday. First, a moment of celebration because Principal Dawson is back on campus! Thank you to the administrators, teachers, and staff who so beautifully held down the fort while she was virtual-only. Ok, here’s what you may have missed:
(1) We voted to maintain the current mask-optional policy.
(2) We voted in a new board member, Romaric Dautun, who has been actively volunteering with the board on finance and facilities issues for quite a while now.
(3) Ms. Dawson opened a conversation about pay scale updates and our promise to match Wake County Public School System salaries by year five via raises, bonuses, or other means. Next steps are that, as we begin to draft the 2022-23 operating budget, the board will examine pay scale updates in balance with financial considerations, employee retention, measures of excellence, and more.
(4) We heard joyful and thorough administrative updates from Mr. Berry, Ms. Rivera, Ms. Jackson and Ms. Walters. In brief, enrollment is good; the OT/Sensory Room looks really great; and staff are moving through additional professional development sessions on Conscious Discipline and more.
(5) Ms. Jackson highlighted that end-of-grade tests will be administered within the last 10 days of the school year. All students in Grades 3-7 will take the Reading and Math EOGs, and all 5th grade students take the Science EOG, in addition to Reading and Math. Students will have opportunities to practice using the online platform before testing begins. If a 3rd Grade student does not pass the Reading EOG, they have an opportunity to retake the test. Expect more info in May!
(6) We are working toward our 2023 Charter Renewal! Our leadership team is in the process of preparing for Charter Renewal presentation and interviews, which will occur in just about a month. Our presentation will cover governance, finance, operations, accountability, and charter compliance, to name a few of the topics. We’re excited to show off our beautiful community and how much our students, staff, and administrators have achieved since the school first opened its doors.
(7) In case this is the part you were scrolling for… no updates yet on our permanent location. We are still in the due diligence period, and unfortunately, we are not allowed to share details until the due diligence period is complete. We will share the location with our community as soon as we are allowed. Note that we will remain at 9400 Forum Drive for the 2022-23 school year.
As we look for additional temporary space to hold our growing school population, we can use your help! Please let us know if you know of any space available for rent that could easily be or is certified E occupancy for a school. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any leads.
You can watch the full meeting here.
Enjoy the rest of your week, and thank you!
The ROCS Board of Directors