Hi ROCS families,
Yesterday was our annual Board of Directors’ day-long strategy session, and we wanted to keep you in the loop on some of the things we talked about. In fact, to improve communication between the Board and the school community, we’d like to make these post-meeting updates a regular monthly practice throughout the 2021-22 school year. Here are the day’s updates:
(1) We are aware that there are rumors circulating about potential new facilities and/or buildings for next year. Yes, we were investigating some options, but we’re happy to announce that the entire school will remain at 9400 Forum Drive for the 2021-22 school year.
(2) You’ll soon hear us start referring to ROCS “lower school” and “upper school,” which may feel confusing since all of our students will still be learning in the same location. In brief, “lower school” means grades K-4, and “upper school” means grades 5-8. The reason we’re doing this is to lay the foundation for future organization as the school expands to eighth grade and grows its total population. To further support that growth, we’ll also be adding one more member to the administration team.
(3) Your administrators are in the process of updating the 2021-22 Parent Handbook, so expect to see a slightly revised edition some time in August. One change to note? We are removing the stipulation which prohibited characters and logos on clothing. Why? Because we believe in and respect personal appearance as a form of self-expression, and we want to create a dress code that is more equitable and inclusive.
(4) Thank you to everyone — staff and families — who participated in the end-of-year surveys! We are reviewing your comments and suggestions and will report back to you, early next school year, on changes we’ll be implementing in response. We are so grateful for your honest feedback.
(5) We plan to launch a new (much more informative) ROCS website over the summer and begin using it frequently for communication from the school. Our apologies for how long this has taken!
(6) And last but not least, we need swag! If you’re in the screen-printing business or know someone who could help us build an inventory of ROCS merchandise, please email Laura Walters at firstname.lastname@example.org. Specifically, we want to print a range of inexpensive t-shirts and other spirit wear for students and parents to purchase at events — and at very low cost — throughout the school year.
Ok, that’s it! Thank you for reading all the way to the bottom of this email, and thank you for being a part of our community. Have a wonderful week,
The ROCS Board of Directors